Plastic masterbatch are also used in packaging in addition to materials such as paper, glass and metal. Plastic masterbatch are not naturally available, but must undergo various processing from the crude oil. There are many types of plastic packaging on the market today and are used by us every day. Plastic packaging can be nylon bags, bran bags, non-woven bags, shrink film, etc. And each type of plastic packaging like that has a different manufacturing process such as blowing bags, spinning, etc. In this article, we mentioned 5 types of masterbatch that are commonly used in packaging production.
Plastic masterbatch – common ingredient for manufacturing various types of packaging
Primary plastic are usually white or transparent. In order to produce plastic packaging, in addition of using primary plastic, manufacturers can combine the original material (primary or recycled plastic) with calcium carbonate masterbatch, color masterbatch and other additives. In the masterbatch world, there are many types with different properties. Depending on the purpose of which the product is used for, the manufacturer will use different types of plastic masterbatch. For example, producers add color masterbatch to the packaging to make it more eye-catching, more vivid and more durable in harsh weather conditions. In other cases, manufacturers will mix primary plastic with sliding additives masterbatch to reduce friction between blow films in the same stack or between films and other surfaces it contacts to make it easier to move.
Classification of plastic packaging based on groups of used plastic masterbatch
Plastic packaging manufactured from PE plastic masterbatch
Plastic packaging made from PE plastic masterbatch and functional additives is used a lot in every aspect of daily life, from markets, grocery stores, supermarkets and is often called plastic bags.
Here are the characteristics of packaging made by PE masterbatch:
- Transparent, glossy surface, soft, flexible, waterproof and good steam resistance
- The resistances of PE packages against O2, CO2, N2 and grease are all poor
- By combining PE calcium carbonate masterbatch and functional masterbatches, common PE packaging such as clear PE bags, glued PE bags, antistatic PE bags, vacuum PE bags can be created
What is the difference between packaging made by PE and PP plastic masterbatch?
PP masterbatch with outstanding features at reasonable prices can be applied in many agricultural and chemical industries. For example, it can function as fertilizer packaging, seed packaging, chemical packaging, food packaging and animal feeding packaging, etc.
Here are the characteristics of packaging made by PP plastic masterbatch:
- PP plastic packaging is durable, tough and does not stretch so it can be made into fibers, but the disadvantage is that it is easy to tear, so manufacturers need to be careful during the packaging or transportation processes
- PP plastic bags are opaque white or transparent white
- It experienced good printability
- PP plastic packaging is waterproof and non-greasy
What are the advantages of manufacturing packaging from PC plastic masterbatch?
PC plastic masterbatch is resistant to high temperatures, so PC plastic packaging is used to make food containers (bottles and jars) but these products need to be sterilized.
PC plastic packaging has these following properties:
- Plastic PC has better air-tightness than PVC and PE but worse than PET and PP calcium carbonate masterbatch
- PC plastic has a high degree of transparency and durability, but it is 3 times more expensive than PP and PET plastic so it is rarely used on the market.
- PC plastic packaging is able to withstand high temperatures above 100oC
Is using PVC plastic masterbatch still popular in manufacturing?
From PVC plastic masterbatch, manufacturers can manufacture a wide range of products from plastic bottles, food wrap films or electrical cables to water pipes, raincoats, etc. Previously, PVC plastic is widely used but later on, PE became more popular because of its many advantages:
- The proportion of PVC is higher than that of PE and PP, so it consumes more fuel when making the same plastic products, thereby costing more.
- PVC does not have the flexibility, so it is necessary to use additives such as calcium carbonate masterbatch, color masterbatch, technical resins compound for packaging products.
- PVC packaging contains VCM (vinylchoride) which causes cancer, so in Europe it has been banned to use this material for making food packaging.
The packaging is manufactured from PET plastic masterbatch and its advanatges
High-durable PET resins should be used as water bottles and water containers. In addition, PET plastic packaging can also be a plastic container for food thanks to the combination of functional additives such as filler masterbatch, color masterbatch or compound to improve the air-tightness and ensure its safety when being exposure to high temperature.
Packaging manufactured from PET plastic masterbatch is widely used due to these properties:
- High durability and be able to withstand the impact of high pressure
- Best gas-proof ability in all types of the plastic packaging
- Soft, glossy surface, easy to print logos and labels
- Does not cause chemical reactions when in contact with other substances, especially safe for containing foods
- However, PET packaging is difficult to recycle and is often not recycled. PET packaging is usually single use only.