Filler masterbatch – One of the most interesting materials
Beside the traditional materials such as metal (iron, steel, copper, etc.), glass and wood, filler masterbatch and plastic in general, are widely applied in daily life with an affordable price when it comes to consumers. Filler masterbatch is used in many industries such as plastic pipes, electronic accessories, automotive equipment, etc. Among those, the plastic packaging industry has developed very strongly thanks to a variety of image designs as well as the lightweight and durable features of the packaging’s material.
In addition to traditional materials such as paper, fiber, glass, metal and wood, plastic masterbatch are also used as the input materials in various packaging production. Plastics are not available in nature but must undergo multiple separation periods from crude oil. The primary plastic is usually white or transparent. To create plastic products like packaging, manufacturers will mix with different types of masterbatches such as filler, color masterbatch or plastic additive masterbatch, etc.
Let’s take a closer look on reasons for plastic masterbatch to become the best solution in packaging industry!
The process of producing plastic packaging from different types of filler masterbatch
Firstly, in order to make exclusively plastic filler masterbatch for the specific type of packaging that customers need, EuP will process primary plastic by mixing CaCO3 powder with the carrier resin, along with colorant for plastic and additive masterbatch at a certain ratio. For example, if plastic packaging needs to carry different colors, we must add colorant into the mixture. Otherwise, if the packaging products must be transported or being outdoors often, we must add functional additives such as UV protection compounds in order to increase the physical durability and prevent discoloration.
From packaging designs to real products made of filler masterbatch
The next step is to design the packaging according to the customer’s wishes. After receiving the customer’s requests about the design, size and color of the product, the company will put up the idea of packaging design and will send the design back to customers for examination. If there was any disagreement in the design, we are willing to change it as your requests. Based on the approved designs, our company EuP will calculate the proper ratio of required materials, additives and colors to conduct the production.
Filler masterbatch will be well mixed by machine and modified into shape of plastic films. Plastic films are cut into individual yarns according to the customer’s requirements and then put into the reeling machine to produce plastic rolls. After that, the company will print the packaging based on the original model approved. With the advanced printing technology, the company can print on regular woven PP bags, PE coated bags or paper bags.
Classification of plastic packaging based on the type of primary resin in filler masterbatch
Plastic packaging manufactured from the PE filler masterbatch
Plastic packaging made from PE filler masterbatch, functional additives and colorant for plastic are used a lot in daily life, from markets, grocery stores to supermarkets, shopping malls. They are often called nylon bags.
PE plastic packaging has these characteristics:
- Transparent, glossy surface, soft, flexible, waterproof and water vapor resistant.
- Resistance against O2, CO2, N2 and grease of PE packaging is poor
- By combining PE plastic and functional masterbatches, it is possible to create popular PE packaging types such as transparent PE bags, adhesive PE bags, antistatic PE bags, vacuum PE bags.
Plastic packaging made from PP masterbatch
Packaging made from PP masterbatch with multiple outstanding features and a reasonable price can be applied in many agricultural and chemical industries such as fertilizers packaging, seeds packaging, chemicals packaging, food packaging, animal feed packaging, etc.
PP plastic packaging has characteristics:
- PP plastic bags are durable, tough and can’t be stretched. PP filler masterbatch can be made into fibers, but there are disadvantages that plastic packaging made by PP masterbatch is easily torn, so you need to be careful while using this products in packaging and shipping.
- PP bags are opaque white or transparent white, so it is easy to print images, logo on its surface
- PP plastic packaging is waterproof and greaseproof
Plastic packaging made from PC filler masterbatch
PC filler masterbatch is able to withstand high temperatures so PC plastic packaging is used as bottles and jars containing products for food industry. However they still need to be sterilized well before being used.
PC plastic packaging has characteristics:
- Waterproof ability is quite high, higher than PVC and PE but lower than PET and PP
- PC plastic filler masterbatch achieves good transparency and durability, but the price is 3 times more expensive than PP and PET, so it is rarely used in the market as packaging
- PC plastic packaging can withstand high temperatures above 100oC
Plastic packaging produced from PVC masterbatch
From PVC masterbatch, the manufacturers can make plastic bottles, film covering food or electric cables, water pipes, raincoats, etc. Previously, PVC was widely used but lateral PE plastic became more popular because it has more advantages.
- The proportion of PVC is higher than that of PE and PP, so it is more fuel-consuming when using it to make the same plastic products. In general, the production cost is higher.
- PVC plastic is not flexible so it is necessary to use more plastic additives for packaging products.
- PVC filler masterbatch contains VCM (vinylchoride) which is believed to cause cancer so it was prohibited from being used of this type of packaging for food industry in Europe.
Plastic packaging made from PET masterbatch
The highly durable PET filler masterbatch is appropriated to be used as water bottles and containers. In addition, PET plastic packaging can also be containers for food thanks to the combination of other plastic additives and colorant for plastic, it is supplied with the gas-proof and is safe when exposure to high temperatures.
PET plastic packaging has characteristics:
- Highly durable to withstand the high pressure impacts
- The best air permeability among all types of packaging.
- Soft and glossy surface, easy to print logo, labels.
Do not cause chemical reactions when exposed to food, but PET packaging is difficult to recycle thus it is often not recycled. PET packaging is usually used only once.